Thursday, April 9, 2020

Dragonshadow Review


Dragonshadow by Elle Katherine White is the second book in her high fantasy Heartstone saga. We continue the story of Aliza and Alastair Daired. Their honeymoon at Pendragon manor is interrupted by a call for aid that they can’t ignore and sets them on a journey to the north and an unknown enemy.



I gave this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. I really enjoyed this deeper look into the characters and the aftermath of all they went through before, as well as how they learned to face what was to come together. There was a lot of character development here that was very different from the first book (as it wasn’t limited to a retelling) and I found it wonderful to witness. I came to like the characters even more and am eager to see what will come for them in future books. I also appreciated getting to know the world better. I feel like White had the opportunity in this book to really expand her world building and I found it fascinating.

The plot was interesting and fairly gripping. The ‘twists’ to the plot were all quite predictable, but that didn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy it, because I did. My only frustration was that it took more than half the book for them to reach their destination and therefore we end with them acquiring the information they have been searching for: who their enemy is. Not that the ending is left too open, but it makes the unknown length of waiting for the sequel much harder. If all the books were already out and I could move straight into the next one, I would probably love it (but that is just a personal preference).

I was a little hesitant and worried with this being a sequel to a retelling (especially of a well beloved story), but was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it especially because it was freed from the restraints of a retelling. This is looking to be a new favorite series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...