Wednesday, July 18, 2018

DragonSpell Review

I recently began to read the DragonKeeper Chronicles by Donita Paul. It is a Christian middle grade fantasy series.


The first book in the series is DragonSpell. It is about a young slave girl named Kale who finds a dragon egg and it changes her whole life. She is sent to the Hall with the egg to receive training to serve Paladin, but is taken off course by events leading her on an adventure she could have never imagined. As her whole world (including her perception of the world) is changed, she makes new freinds and discovers more about who God is and who God says she is.

I gave this book a 3.5 out of 5 stars. The writing was easy to read and follow, but the pacing was a bit off. I'm not generally a big fan of allegories (where Jesus and God have different names, etc.), but this one isn't too bad. I did enjoy seeing Kale learn about the world she lives in, herself, Paladin and Wulder (God). However, I didn't really connect with her. It felt like her character needed to be fleshed out so that I could understand where she was coming from and why certain actions she took were good and others not. There wasn't much depth to any of the characters here, but I hope to get to know them more in the coming books.

Overall it was a nice read, but I probably wouldn't re-read it. I am continuing with the series, so look out for coming posts on the following books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...