Monday, July 30, 2018

DragonFire Review


DragonFire by Donita Paul is the fourth book in the Dragon Keeper Chronicles. This book takes place 3 years after the events of the third book. Kale and Barden are now married and have spent the last three years living in The Bogs with little contact to the outside world (except through family and close friends). Lost communication with Regidor leads them to leave The Bogs in search of him, and so sets them on a new series of journeys.


I gave this a 4 out of 5 stars. This has been my favorite book in the series. I don’t know that I would like it as much without the knowledge of characters and events that came in the preceding books, but I still liked it a great deal. One of the reasons I liked it so much is that I liked both Kale and Barden a great deal more in this book. Their personalities are more developed and Barden is no longer irritating. I also find their interaction entertaining and feel they mesh much better than before.

Furthermore, they both were the main characters (so we followed back and forth between both their perspectives) and it felt very smooth and well done. It didn’t feel out of place or uneven like in the previous book.

The plot, like in the other books isn’t extremely strong, but it was interesting and there was quite a bit of action to keep things moving forward. Only one instance really bugged me and that was because they built up this enemy as being so strong and the idea that they would be so hard to defeat, and then they were dead almost before I realized what had happened. It seemed a bit too unrealistic for my taste. Other than that, the events that took place were fun and exciting to read.

I enjoyed seeing old familiar characters throughout the story (not just at the end) and meeting (or getting to know) a few new ones.

Now I am quite interested in seeing how this story will be wrapped up in the last book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...