Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Gregor the Overlander Review


Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins is the first book in her middle grade fantasy Underland Chronicles. It is about 11-year-old Gregor who falls through a grate in his apartment’s laundry room while trying to catch his baby sister. That is how they find themselves in an underground land filled with people and creatures living together in a state of instability and Gregor is believed to be the one prophesied about to play an important role in the future of the Underland.


I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. It was a wonderful story. It reminded me of A Wrinkle in Time with the missing father who they know didn’t just run off and abandon them. I was also reminded of Wildwood where something happening to the little baby sibling leads them to a fantastical other place and into adventures they never could have imagined. The overall plot (the young person turning out to be the prophesied one, etc.) wasn’t unique, but it was very well done and had other aspects that set it apart. I was gripped from the very beginning and flew through the story. There were some twists and turns that really took me by surprise and that I loved.

The writing style sucks you in and keeps you going. There was only one thing I found distracting: anytime Gregor thought something it was in quotation marks, so I had to tell by context (or if it was stated) that these were thoughts not things spoken aloud. Sometimes this meant I had to go back and say to myself “oh, he isn’t saying this out loud, okay” and start that section over with the correct context in mind. Other than that, it was very well written.

The characters were so diverse (crossing species) and wonderful. They were all unique and I really enjoyed going through the story with them. I found myself laughing with them, grieving with them, and generally appreciating their variety and relatability.

I love that she ended it in such a way to suggest that there is a sequel, but with this book’s plot being fully resolved. Overall, this truly was such a pleasure to read. It is thought provoking, interesting and powerful in its own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...