Friday, January 11, 2019

Cup of Comfort Review


A Cup of Comfort Book of Christmas Prayer edited by Susan B Townsend is a Christian Non-fiction devotional made up of a collection of people’s short Christmas stories with messages to touch our hearts during the holiday season.


I gave this book 3.5 out of 5 stars. I wasn’t aware that this was a devotional when I checked it out from the library, so I couldn’t read it as it was intended, 2 short stories a day from December 1 through January 6. However, I still enjoyed it. The stories were varied and lovely. Hearing from each person’s own perspective of their memories made them more real and heartwarming. It was lovely to learn with and be touched by this multitude of believers in all manner of ways in connection to Christmas.

One of my disappointments was that there weren’t any prayers for us to pray in connection to the stories or the season like the title implies. In fact there were only three prayers in this devotional and they were a part of the stories and perspectives of the person sharing. I was hoping for some more application of prayer in regards to the season or for a collection of prayers historically read and / or communally prayed during the Christmas season.

Overall, it was a sweet and heartwarming collection of short stories, it just wasn’t what I was expecting or looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...