Friday, January 18, 2019

The Golden Thread Review


The Golden Thread by Darlene Zschech is a Christian non-fiction on the topic of God’s continued presence through the storms of life and the importance of maintaining worship in all seasons.


I gave this book 2.5 out of 5 stars. This book just didn’t do anything for me. I struggled with the writing style and format. Even at 25 percent of the way through the book I wasn’t able to define what I thought Zschech was trying to say or teach. It felt like she hopped around a lot without the solid thread of the theme pulling the book along.

I also found the amount of quoting problematic. I do enjoy and appreciate when authors use scripture to support their teaching and refer to other leaders of the faith and quote them; however, not to this extent. It feels like around 1/3 of her book is quotes (only 2/3 her own content, if that). 

To be honest, I am also not the biggest fan of authors using different versions of the Bible for most of their quotes. If they are comparing the same verse in say two or three version, I don’t mind; but that isn’t what is done here. I especially disapprove of using a paraphrase as a reference. Not to mention the few places when no version is mentioned at all. I found all of this to be very distracting while reading.

I do think Zschech has something important to say here and was quite disappointed that it just seemed to get lost in everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...