Monday, November 26, 2018

Mandie and the Secret Tunnel Review


Mandie and the Secret Tunnel by Lois Gladys Leppard is a Christian children’s historical story and the first book in the Mandie Mysteries series about a young girl named Mandie. When her father dies, her world is thrown upside down and she tries to find out where she belongs now. With the aid of her Native American Uncle Ned, she will find the place God has prepared for her.


I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. It was a lovely read. The writing style reminded me of a mix between Little House on the Prairie and Anne of Green Gables. I really liked the flow of events and how Mandie grew in her faith through them. I was surprised by how much I liked the mystery element to the story and how it hooked me. I was even more impressed with the ‘big reveal’ of the mystery and how I never would have predicted it and loved it.

I think this is a fantastic story for young girls. It has many real life elements (especially historically) to discuss and lessons about life and God that will be meaningful to them. The only element to the story I wasn’t too fond of was the romance. I didn’t feel that it was needed, especially as Mandie was only 12 (and many of the readers I imagine are that age and younger). I felt it was just addressed prematurely. The whole young crushes thing I don't really mind, but I feel it would have been better to hold off on them confronting feelings until future books.

That being said, I still think it is a wonderful story for young girls and look forward to seeing what is to come for Mandie in the coming books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...