Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Mary Poppins Review


Mary Poppins by P L Travers is a children’s chapter book about a magical nannie that shows up at the house of young Jane, Michael, John and Barbara Banks. And thus begins a series of unusual doings.


I am sad to say that this book only got a 2 out of 5 star from me. The story really took me by surprise and not in a good way. I enjoyed the familiar magical adventures and wonderful oddities, but must say that I didn’t like Mary Poppins herself. She was vain, arrogant and moody and not a very nice or pleasant person. I didn’t understand why the children and others seemed to like her so much, there didn’t seem to be any ground for it. I suppose a child wouldn’t notice that and would simply enjoy the mystical and unusual things happening, but it put me off. The other characters were all a bit flat and / or we only saw them in one story (one chapter) so couldn’t build that likeable connection to them.

The plot was definitely different than the movie. It was a fairly random series of events and stories that didn’t really teach lessons or pull together to tell a specific “story” other than: these things took place because they had a magical nannie. I have to say that I miss an overarching plot, but don’t know that it is strictly necessary here (especially for the young intended audience).

Overall, I didn’t feel like we learned anything or that the children grew (character-wise). It is just a collection of unusual things taking place because Mary Poppins happened to be there. I found it disappointing and with messages about behavior that I wouldn’t want my children taking away from it (rudeness, vanity, and arrogance being okay in adults, misbehavior to be okay from kids). I may read the second book to see if it gets any better, but I haven’t decided yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...