Monday, April 8, 2019

The Fill-In Boyfriend Review


The Fill-in Boyfriend by Kasie West is a young adult contemporary. It is about young Gia, student body president, the girl with everything under control, until her long-distance boyfriend breaks up with her in the parking lot of her senior prom. With her friends growing doubts about the existence of this boyfriend, she talks a stranger dropping off his sister into pretending to be her boyfriend in order to meet her friends. This sets into motion a series of events that will change her life.


I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars. It was okay, but just that. I was kind of disappointed that I didn’t like it more. The writing style was still really strong and fun to read. The plot was fast paced and smooth. I found her characters to be well developed (as I have come to expect from her) and did feel fairly invested in them.

My big issue with this story is the plot itself. It was entirely made up of teen drama. I understand the story is about teenagers, so expect a bit of that, but not as the driving force and main storyline. The story set up sounded so interesting and full of potential, but I was quite disappointed in her spin. Furthermore, the setup of many young people making immature decisions and mistakes wouldn’t have felt as bad if more people than the main character suffered consequences for them. But she was the only one who really suffered for her bad choices, even though she regretted them and was trying to make amends. All of that together just irritated me and diminished my pleasure in the book. My last issue was that the ending was really abrupt (as in, wait what?).

Overall, I don’t regret reading this book, but it definitely did not rise to my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...