Thursday, January 16, 2020

Agnes Gray Review


Agnes Gray by Anne Bronte is a Victorian classic. It follows Agnes as she sets out to become a governess and the experiences she goes through.



I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. This was a lovely book. Agnes was such a pleasure to get to know and follow. The characters she meets are all so different and varied. All of Anne’s characters feel so real and substantial. This book has the feel of an autobiography (especially in writing style and tone) and I can understand why people have speculated about there being true autobiographical elements in the story.

The themes were interesting and thought provoking. I liked the look into parenting and castes and the value of moral living. I especially appreciated the look into faith during the Victorian era, especially the positive view of faith.

I was surprised to find how fast paced the story was as the action is quite minimal. This is very much a character driven story, but I loved that. It felt very real to life and therefore, relatable. I am so glad that I picked this book up and look forward to reading her other novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...