Thursday, March 12, 2020

Fairest Review


Fairest by Gail Carson Levine is a spin-off book from Ella Enchanted and a retelling of Snow White. We follow Aza an Ayorthian girl with the fairest voice in the kingdom but considered all around ugly. Circumstances lead her to the castle and becoming lady-in-waiting to the new queen, thus begins her adventures.



I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. This was such a fun read. I really like retellings and Levine has a way of putting her own spin on the story and bringing it to life. This one was quite a twist on the original and I found that fascinating. The plot was fast paced, and I flew through the book. My only disappointment was that there were questions I expected to get answered during the story that didn’t.

Aza, the queen, and one other character are multi-dimensional and interesting. There was some good character development with them. But most of the characters we don’t really get to know beyond surface level. It would particularly have made the love story more believable if the prince had more depth, as it was, he fell rather flat. Overall, the story would have felt more believable with all around more character depth and development.

I did enjoy this book and feel that if I had read it when I was a kid, I may have loved it. As an adult it was entertaining and fun but lacking a bit in quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...