Tuesday, March 17, 2020

The Life Giving Table Review


The Life-Giving Table by Sally Clarkson is a Christian non-fiction book dealing with the importance of table culture for singles, families and in relation to hospitality and discipleship purposes.



I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars. It is very conversational and filled with examples or stories. I find the writing style very approachable and easy to follow. Even though the main topic is supposed to be ‘the table’ I felt it could also strongly be ‘parenting’. There is nothing wrong with that, but I would have liked to see a bit more table talk for people in differing seasons of life. Or perhaps it is that I would have liked her to address the differences of our table ministry in differing seasons.   

I did really enjoy the recipes at the end of each chapter. Some of them don’t work for me, as the ingredients aren’t available where I live, but many do, and I will enjoy trying them.

There are some wonderful tips and ideas in here to apply with children as well as tips for hospitality, discipleship and evangelism. I really appreciated them, but it is not my season of life. My oldest is 5 so just entering the stage to use these ideas, but my others are still learning to talk (or just starting to say words at all) and mealtime is filled with helping the little ones. Just like Clarkson’s book Life-Giving Home, I feel this book is better for people who don’t have children yet or have all older children. Perhaps I will come back to this book in a couple years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...