Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Sense and Sensibility Review

 

Sense and Sensibility by Sarah Price is an Amish retelling of Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility. It is the story of 2 sisters (Eleanor and Mary Ann) and the events that take place for them and their family after the unexpected death of their father.

 

I gave this book between 3.5 - 4  out of 5 stars. This was a delightful retelling. I found the Amish setting worked really well to tell the story in a slightly new way. Price’s writing style was light and easy and well executed. I also enjoyed the differences from the original that the setting required (without sacrificing any of the original plot).

Because of the setting, the faith content didn’t feel out of place but flowed naturally in the story with only a few exceptions (around Mary Ann being read to).

My only real complaint is that there were a number of scenes throughout the book that felt like they were almost copy and pasted out of the 1995 movie adaptation. I would have appreciated Price’s own interpretation of those scenes in this unique setting much more.

Overall, I am glad I picked this book up and look forward to exploring the other books in this series (The Amish Classics) as I understand they are each a retelling of one of Jane Austen’s main novels.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...