Friday, September 21, 2018

All Things New Review


All Things New by Lynn Austen is a Christian historical fiction novel set in the restoration period after the Civil War. It follows a southern woman, her oldest daughter and one of their former female slaves as these three woman try to find healing, rebuild their lives and find their way back to the God that truly does love them.


I gave this book a 4 out of 5 stars. This was a very fitting book to read after just finishing Austen’s Refining Fire trilogy (all set during the Civil War). I also like that it looks from a southerners perspective with all the hurt, anger and their very way of life forever changed as well as from a former slaves perspective in learning what it means to be free.

The writing was just as beautiful as I expected it to be and the storytelling was enchanting. The characters are interesting and complex. I enjoyed seeing them learn and grow and change. There were characters I liked, some I didn’t and everything in between.

This book was honest about the harsh realities the people faced in that time: the loss, the poverty, the remaining hatred and resistance to change. But again Austen handled these issues very well (especially in dealing with grief and loss). There was a bit of violence (trigger warning: including an attempted suicide and mentioned rape), but it was never overly graphic. One reason I liked the book so much is the hope that it shows and in the lesson that we can always turn to God and trust Him (even in out doubts and suffering).

The young romance was sweet and heartwarming. Even though I saw it coming from the first meeting, I was totally for it and thrilled to watch them come together. I also liked looking at romance from multiple perspectives of a married couple, the first love scenario and the second love scenario.

This was a really powerful and enjoyable read. I look forward to reading more works by Austen in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...