Wednesday, September 26, 2018

P.S. I Like You Review

P. S. I Like You by Kasie West is a young adult contemporary romance. This book is about high schooler Lily who has a big family, loves music and hates chemistry. During her chemistry class, she is spacing and ends up writing the first few lines of lyrics from one of her favorite bands on the desk. The next day she finds someone has written the next line under hers. So begins an anonymous pen pal friendship. Unraveling the identity of who her pen pal is and what effect that will have in the other areas of her life (friendship, family, etc.) fill her days.

I gave this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars.  I really liked this book. Just like the first Kasie West book I read, I almost couldn’t put this down I was so hooked. The characters were fun, interesting and very well written. The plot was a modern, young adult twist on the old movie “You’ve Got Mail” (which I adored). It was so funny and entertaining. I felt quite the range of emotions along with the characters: from anger to annoyance, to glee, to excitement and excessive nerves. It was a wonderful ride.
I also appreciated her love of music. Even though her style was different than mine, a music lover is still a music lover. And being a musician myself, I was impressed with her abilities (especially being self-taught/ youtube taught) and could empathize with many of her situations.
The only thing that bothered me is that I could see what the author was going to do from a mile away, and I was begging her up to the moment it happened that she would go a different route. Yet, even though she took the obvious path (and the one I didn’t want), I was totally okay with it by the end of the book. With the backwards perspective I am thrilled with how it was done and how the story turned out.
This was such a fun hate to love story. There was some minor sexual content (hugging, kissing, etc.), but it wasn’t too descriptive and never went beyond making out.
After reading this, I think I have found a new author that I really want to read more books from (one who might become a new favorite author).

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...