Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Standing Strong Review


Standing Strong by John MacArthur Jr. is a Christian living book on the topic of spiritual warfare. It defines spiritual warfare and addresses both personal and corporate aspects of the topic. This is his response to the rise of the spiritual warfare movement.


I gave this book a 4 out of 5 stars. I found the introductory warning a very wise and important one. Understanding who our enemy is and what he is doing (in the spiritual warfare context) is very important. However, we need to keep our eyes on God and focus on doing His will first and foremost. I appreciate the reminder of balance before delving into the topic.

The theology was quite sound and heavily backed with scripture and quotes from other spiritual leaders. I think it is imperative that authors use scripture as the foundation of their teaching; it gives me reason to take head of what they are saying (of course with discernment). It is a pleasant plus when they refer to other known spiritual leaders, showing that their thoughts and opinions are shared by others in the church (giving support to their interpretations). I am more likely to trust and respect a well-read writer (of both Bible and other works).

There were a couple small points that I was not in agreement on (like the belief that miracles and casting out demons was only doable for Jesus and the apostles because they had ‘special’ authority, but not something we can do today), but that is not a big problem. I do understand where he is coming from, in countering the spiritual warfare movement big at that time. None of my issues with the book are about anything major or vitally important, just minor disagreement.

On a positive note, there were a number of points I was happily surprised that he included (like expounding on the armor of God) and found this book to be overall very encouraging and helpful. I am very glad I read this book and will probably refer back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...