Friday, October 26, 2018

Counter Culture Review


Counter Culture by David Platt is a Christian non-fiction book on the topic of social issues and our role in dealing with them. He emphasizes the importance of the gospel and the fact that it plays a major role in how we approach the social issues of today. He also includes at the end of each chapter practical applications through prayer and physical action.


I gave this book a 4 out of 5 stars. I found it very thought provoking. I had never really sat down and thought how Biblical viewpoints really do go against our culture (in more than the obvious ways) and how offensive non-believers find every aspect of it (and the roots of this in the sin nature itself). The application of the gospel to social issues is so important and yet such a struggle and often forgotten altogether.

The writing was easy to follow and very clear. It was obvious that Platt put a lot of effort into making sure he spoke Biblical truth, but in love, and to do this with such touchy subjects, he did a remarkable job. I also appreciated his mentioning of his website for further resources on each of the topics he covered.

This book was often convicting and eye opening (in a good way). However, there were times when I would look to my own life (the season I’m in, etc.) and felt that his suggestions (which were good), were mostly not practicable for me. As a young stay at home mother of three kids fours years old and under, many of the suggestions he gave to put into practice what he is sharing just aren’t possible. I am also an American living in a foreign country, which alters what some of the possibilities are for me.

I do feel this is a much needed book for the Christian community and not just as an emotional wakeup, but as a call to action from the body of Christ. However, I do think it is important to keep in mind that God is working in all of us and there are seasons of growth in different areas of our lives (determined by Him) and this is only one area. It may very well be an area God wants to work on at the time of a person reading it, or it could be just an overview of an area He will grow in you in a different season (prioritizing another area of growth at the present time). I feel that, for me, I am in this latter group. I definitely want to be more prayerful (don’t underestimate the power of prayer) on these topics, but feel God speaking change into other areas of my life at the moment.

Even though it is the wrong season for me to put much action behind this, I am still very glad I read it. This book has been very inspirational to me in looking towards the future in hopes of seeing what ways God will call and use me to make a difference (even if just in one life).

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...