Wednesday, October 3, 2018

On the Fence Review


On the Fence by Kasie West is a young adult contemporary romance novel. It is about 16 year old Charlie the only daughter of a single father with 3 older brothers. Growing up in a family with all boys, plus the neighbor boy (Braden) who they basically brought in as part of the family, Charlie is a major tomboy. She loves all things sports and her family are beyond important to her. When her dad forces her to get a job (to pay back a speeding ticket), she is thrown into an environment with “normal” girly girls. Here she discovers that she does have a feminine side and struggles with how that fits in to the other side of her life. While she is on this journey of self discovery she also enters the world of boy trouble and love.


This book got a 4.5 out of 5 stars from me. I really liked this book and couldn’t put it down. The characters are so gripping and real feeling. I loved Charlie being both a tomboy and having a feminine side and discovering that that is perfectly fine. The boys in this story were funny and cute and sweet and strong, they really encompass the complexity of being a boy (that is usually forgotten and simplified from female perspective). I liked all of the characters and all their quirky ways.

The story grabbed me from the very beginning and didn’t let me go. It gave me all the right feelings and at quite a range; from laughing out loud (which I rarely do) to drowning in the sweetness to hurting for the pain and grief. I love how West is able to speak about heavier topics amidst such fun and cute stories. In this case looking at family loss and grief as well as the effect of alcoholism on a family. Disclaimer: there is reference to suicide in the book so you may want to avoid it if that is a trigger for you.

I also was impressed with how she handled the love triangle situation. Usually I really dislike the ‘love triangle’ trope. But here it was so light and well done, that I didn’t mind it. I also appreciate that all the people involved were good people (not one boy being obviously bad, etc.). This felt far more realistic to what this situation might look like in real life.

As for the sexual content: I’d say it is pretty average (kissing, hand holding, hugs etc.). There is a very accurate representation of physical attraction and the acute awareness of the physical presence of the person Charlie is in love with. But I respect that it was included and how well it was written. There is also a fair amount of rough housing (as she is ‘one of the guys’ in the house), but it isn’t sexual.

Overall it was a great read. I am really loving Kasie West’s works and look forward to the next book of hers that I will read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...