Thursday, October 11, 2018

The Read Aloud Family Review


The Read-Aloud Family by Sarah Mackenzie is a Christian non-fiction book on the topic of parenting. It specifically addresses reading out loud to our children, the whys and hows and so much more.


I loved this book. It got 5 out of 5 stars from me. I liked what she had to say and found it inspirational for my own parenting. I am especially glad that I read it now, while my kids are still quite young. I also found the book encouraging, it didn’t feel like one more thing that I needed to add to my schedule to be a good parent, but like something to look forward to that could have a lasting positive affect on my kids and myself.

I never would have thought that there was enough to say about such a specific topic to write a whole book on it, but was pleasantly surprised here. The writing style was comfortable and companionable (like sitting and discussing it with a friend). The stories added just the right touch, without feeling like there were too many added or like they were pulling me away from the point being made.

There was also a lot of practical advice and application. I especially liked that she addressed each age group individually. This is one of those books to go back to for reference in general, but also for each new season with our kids and for new book inspiration: for books to read with our kids but also even for books to further study the topic of reading to our children.

This is definitely a keeper for me and is already having a positive impact on the way I interact with my little ones and in the plans I am making for the future in regards to reading aloud with them. I highly recommend it for all parents (even if your kids are older, it is still very relevant).


Side note: This is the book that inspired my reading theme for this month of digging into children and middle grade books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...