Monday, March 11, 2019

Ascension of Larks Review


Ascension of Larks by Rachel Linden is a Christian Fiction novel. We follow Magdalena a Porto Rican photographer when her best friend Lina calls with the tragic news of her husband Marco’s death, the man who happens also to be Maggie’s unrequited love. She rushes off to the aid of her friend to help her deal with the fallout, for Lina’s family as well as herself.


I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. This is such a beautifully written, literary work. The quality of the writing style and story telling is top notch. It was intense all the way through with solid, smooth pacing. I was on the edge of my seat as wave upon wave of emotions pulled me through the story.

The plot was compelling and powerful. Linden did a wonderful job of looking at grief and loss. My one issue was that it felt like there were too many big topics looked at. There were the couple main ones that we got to see in-depth and many others that were just touched upon (topics worth going deeper into), but not all in the same book.

The characters were so well rounded and complex. They felt like they could be real people. I didn’t necessarily like all of them and definitely didn’t agree with all of their choices or motivations.

The faith element is very light. There is a theme (a faith lesson) threading clearly through the story and a side character of faith speaking into the lives of the main characters. I feel it is perfect for introducing the truth about what our faith is to non-believers in a non-threatening or pushy way.

Overall, I did like this book a lot, but it was a bit too emotional and sad for my tastes. However, I greatly appreciate the sense of hope we are left with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...