Monday, March 4, 2019

Raspberries and Vinegar Review


Raspberries and Vinegar by Valerie Comer is a Christian contemporary fiction novel. It is about Josephine and her two friends moving out to the country to try and build a sustainable farm and instill healthy values and choices into the neighborhood. Zachary is the veterinarian son of the next-door neighbor and only back home to help out on the farm while his father is recovering from a severe illness, with dreams of a high paying city job.


I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars. It was okay. There were a few good messages that I would have enjoyed looking at in more depth and I enjoyed the return to faith arc of the main male character. It was a quick and easy read with many enjoyable characters. However, I didn’t particularly like the main female character, especially the lack of character development. That also diminished my enjoyment of the romance. It took away the believability of their relationship and made me think that they were not compatible, especially for a long-term relationship. It also didn’t help that there was a large focus on the physical attraction and physical contact in their relationship (feeling more like lust not love). The sexual content was not too extreme (nothing beyond descriptive kissing). For the most part the pacing was good, and the plot moved smoothly, but the ending felt rushed and (I felt) omitted some vital development to the story. I didn’t hate the book or even exactly dislike it, but nor did I particularly like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...