Friday, February 21, 2020

The Story Girl Review


The Story Girl by L M Montgomery follows two brothers, Bev and Felix, as they come to Carlisle, Prince Edward Island for the first time to visit their extended family. There they meet “the story girl” and have many adventures.



I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars. This book is really a collection of interconnected short stories with no overarching plot driving the book, very episodical. It is character focused and driven. I found the stories cute, sweet, and funny but without the bigger arc I never felt really pulled into the story. I am finding this trend in classics is not one I particularly like (other examples of this are Little Men by Louisa May Alcott and Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell).

The characters were quaint and interesting, but lacking in depth. For some reason I never felt invested in them or any sort of connection to them; and since they were the focus of the book, this made it feel a bit like a chore to read.

The little “stories” that the story girl shares are nice. There was a good balance of scary, sad, funny, and heart-warming tales. I liked some and not so much others.

I was glad for the faith content. It was especially interesting coming from a child’s perspective and I think would be a great way to introduce interesting and beneficial conversations with children when read aloud together.

Overall I am a bit disappointed. I wanted to really like this book. It isn’t a bad book by any means, it just didn’t do anything for me. Perhaps it would work better for the intended audience (children), but as an adult it just didn’t. That being said, I do think I will read the sequel because it may turn out to be a book I love and be worth getting the context of this book to reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...