Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Warrior Maiden Review


The Warrior Maiden by Melanie Dickerson is the eighth book in her Christian historical fairytale retelling Hagenhiem series. This book is a retelling of the Legend of Mulan. 

I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars. It was a quick and interesting read. The writing style is strong and engaging, just as I have come to expect from Dickerson. The characters are well developed, and I enjoyed getting to know them. I still enjoy how she builds the historic setting and weaves her tale into it. I just wish we had seen some of the previous characters and heard a bit of where they are at this point.

Generally, I love retellings, but this one didn’t really do anything for me. It felt too forced, specifically to fit in with the rest of the series. I feel that the story of Mulan is too rooted in its Asian setting to try and move it into another one. Furthermore, I have read a really strong Mulan retelling and this one just wasn’t anywhere near as good.

Overall, I am glad that I read this book, but it just didn’t work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...