Tuesday, August 9, 2022

First Impressions Review

 

First Impressions by Sarah Price is an Amish retelling of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. We follow Elizabeth and her family as a young man, his sister, his cousin and a friend move into the farm next door.

 

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. Just like the other books in this series the Amish setting works so well for telling Austen’s story. It did require a few changes, but they were handled very smoothly and I appreciated them more for that. Furthermore, I liked how she developed the characters: that they still rang true from the original work, but were uniquely built to fit into their own setting.

I also really liked how much faith content was present. I don’t necessarily agree with what she was saying about everything being God’s will, but I do recognize that is something that the Amish do believe.

My only real complaint is that it is very rushed (timeline wise). Everything takes place in less than 6 months, which means all the major character development takes place in a matter of days sometimes. Other than that, it was such a joy to read and I know I will continue to read the rest of the books in this Amish Classics series.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...