Tuesday, August 16, 2022

The Matchmaker Review

 

The Matchmaker by Sarah Price is an Amish retelling of Jane Austen’s Emma. We follow 21 year old Emma as her cousin gets married and all the changes that follow in her community and due to her involvement in others’ lives because of her desire to find matches for others.

  

I gave this book 3.5 out of 5 stars. This is well written and a very strong retelling of Emma. There are some changes made that are necessary for the setting, but it still kind of works. However, I felt this retelling didn’t fit the Amish setting nearly as well as the other 3 retellings I have read so far. I believe that is because of the topics Austen was addressing like class/ wealth/ prejudice and human failings such as vanity/ arrogance etc. That being said, I really do like how Price captured the characters. I especially like how she developed the relationship between Emma and Gideon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...