Monday, August 20, 2018

Heartstone Review


Heartstone by Elle White is a fantasy novel. It is a Pride and Prejudice spin off in a fantasy world with Dragons and other mythological creatures. Aliza lives in a small Manor town that is suffering from a horde of gryphons and after the death of her youngest sister, the master of the Manor hires Riders to come and deal with them. What they didn’t expect was one of the Riders to be from the ancient and renowned dragon riding house Daired. Add to that an unknown danger lurking just below the surface just waiting to devastate them all.



The concept for this book sounded really fun, but I didn’t have high expectations for it. Boy was I surprised. I gave this book a 5 out of 5 stars. The author really put a lot of depth and detail into the writing of this story. The plot wasn’t too much Pride and Prejudice with a dash of something else. She really built this world and these characters. The world-building was interesting and just the sort of fantasy that I enjoy, detailed and fascinating. 
The characters were reminiscent of the originals and yet still unique in this setting. Even though I am so familiar with Pride and Prejudice, there were many times throughout the book that I was left wondering what was going to happen, and other events were unique to this story and really took me by surprise (in the best way). This is just the kind of spin off that I enjoy the most. 
This was such a great read and I am so happy that I came across this book. The only thing that would have made it better is if I hadn't known it was a spin off before reading it, so that I could discover that aspect to the story as I was reading.

Now off to see if this author has written any other books for me to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...