Friday, August 10, 2018

The Redeeming Review


The Redeeming by Tamara Leigh is  the third book in the Age of Faith series. It is about the oldest Wulfrith sister Gaenor. The king has ordered her to marry Christian Lavonne in order to end the feud between their families, and her family has agreed. However her affections lie with another (who doesn’t return them). Then there is the knight she secretly met at Wulfen castle. The plot follows how these men affect the choices she makes and the marriage she will have. Then there is Robert, Christian’s older illegitimate brother, who has escaped the kings prison and vows to finally get revenge against the Wulfrith family. With all the relational issues confronting both Gaenor and Christian, Robert poses a new dimension of conflict in their lives.



I gave this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars. I really liked this one. The characters felt so real and developed. They were complicated and relatable and I really  enjoyed reading about them. The plot was clear and flowed really well. It felt fresh and kept me interested and wondering what would happen next. I liked how Leigh developed the story and the characters. The writing style still Drew me in and kept me hooked. I almost couldn't put it down.
I’m not really sure if I could put into words what it is about the book that left me at just really liking it vs loving it. Perhaps it is that I personally can’t relate as well to the characters having never experience the kinds of things they have (although I am sure there are many people who could).

Overall, I felt this book in many ways redeemed the series for me. After the second book only got a 2.5 star rating and the first book was kind of enjoyable but not very memorable, I didn’t hold out much hope of this one being all that better. However, it surprised me and I found myself glad that I had decided to give the series another try. That being said, I don’t know if I will continue with the series or not. All three books have felt very different from each other and have been up and down in enjoyment. If this book hadn’t been as good as it was, I would drop the series altogether; but I now have hope that there could be others in the series that will rise up to this level. I might take a break for a while and then come back to it and see.
As a disclaimer: there is some violence in the book. It didn't feel overly graphic, just honest to battle and the time period.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...