Friday, August 24, 2018

The Overcoming Life Review


This is the first review of a Non-fiction book on my blog, but I hope it is just the starting point for many more. The Overcoming Life by Dwight L Moody is a Christian living book that deals with the topic of victory in our Christian walk. First he addresses the spiritual warfare of the life in Christ and the role of faith in that. He goes on to discuss our internal and then external enemies. He talks about the process and results of repentance and humility.

This was a really enjoyable read. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. I felt it was a very solid foundational book to the topic with a well spring of motivation to step out in faith and be the overcomers God has called us to be. I especially appreciated the section speaking to parents and our influence on our children. Being a mother of 3 children 4 years old and under, I am only now beginning to grasp the importance of my role in leading them to God and being the best example I can be. So, hearing Moody address this really spoke to my season of life.

Moody’s writing style is very light and conversational. I liked his examples and stories, they made the principles being discussed more real and understandable (better able to picture them in practice). I do wish he had gone into a bit more depth here and perhaps offered a few more modes of application in a couple sections. However, it was a good intro to what it means to live the overcoming life.

I would definitely recommend this book, especially if non-fiction is not something you read much of. It is a short book with quite a bit of value to our walk in faith that is easy to read (and doesn’t get to heavy in theological discussion).

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...