Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday: On the Fence Books


This was supposed to be for upcoming releases, but since I’m not up to date on what books are coming out, instead I am focusing on backlist books. These are the books that I might want to read but am not sure if I really want to or should. They currently are on my TBR, but I am uncertain if I will ever put in the effort to read them or if I should just drop them off the list altogether.



1.      Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (Classic) – I hear wonderful things about this book and how much people love it, but I also know that it is a revenge story where none of the main characters are likeable.





2.      Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (Classic) – Again, I hear wonderful things about this book and it being a sort of break through into the realm of domestic thrillers. But I just don’t know if I will like it or not.





3.      The Island of Doctor Moreau by H G Wells (Classic) – I have always been intrigued by the concept for this story. I am just worried that it will disappoint me, especially with some of the negative reviews I have heard about it.





4.      Paradise Lost by John Milton (Christian Classic) – I know this is a well-respected Christian classic, but I have been slightly avoiding it without really knowing why. My constant question when thinking about this book is: should I just give it a try?





5.      Real Christianity by William Wilberforce (Christian Classic) – I love Wilberforce’s life and story, but I have seen his writing and it intimidates me a bit. I don’t want to be completely overwhelmed and lost in the attempt to read it.





6.      The Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta Jackson (Christian Contemporary) – I like the idea of this book and especially what looks like a big focus on prayer, but I have never read anything by this author and I am not sure how it will go.





7.      The Greatest Gift by Ann Voskamp (Christian Non-fiction) – I think there could be some great content in here, but I had a really hard time with her writing style in One Thousand Gifts and don’t really want to repeat that.





8.      The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Young Adult Historical Fiction) – This book intrigues me and I think I may like it, but at the same time I think it may be quite dark. I just don’t know if it will be worth the hype or worth the time.





9.      Throne of Glass (series) by Sarah J Maas (Young Adult Fantasy) – Again the concept of the series sounds interesting and like something I might read, but I have heard some not so good things about some of the sexual content of her writing in general and don’t know if I want to see for myself how bad it is in this series.




10.   Circe by Madeline Miller (Myth retelling) – I have heard wonderful things about this book and generally do like Greek myth retellings. However, I just can’t seem to find the will to pick it up, perhaps partly due to fear it will not live up to the hype.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...