Monday, February 18, 2019

Where We Belong Review


Where We Belong by Lynn Austen is a Christian historical fiction set in 1900s Chicago. We follow 2 sisters and their journey to find and follow God’s will for their lives.


I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. I really enjoyed this book. The characters were wonderful and fun and interesting. I loved how they set their eyes on God even when it went counter to their culture and times. I am not always a big fan of shifting points of view, but it didn’t bug me so much here (except when we switched to two of the minor characters). I understand why Austen used the four perspectives she did, but it felt like a blunt shift at times and other times felt like I had just adjusted to the new narrator when we switch again. Even with that, I still really liked to follow these characters and to see their stories.

The plot was fascinating and kept me interested and invested the whole way through. I actually would have preferred it to go on a bit further; the ending felt a bit abrupt to me. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that there are slightly biographical aspects to this story for two real sisters of that time, and it makes me like the book even more.

The writing style was smooth and clean and a pleasure to read, just what I would expect from Austen. Overall, a great and fun read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...