Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Let it Snow Review


Let it Snow by Maureen Johnson, John Green and Lauren Myracle is a collection of 3 connected young adult Christmas short stories. The first story is “The Jubilee Express” (M J), then “A Cheertastic Christmas” (J G) and the last one is “The Patron Saint of Pigs” (L M).


The first story was so funny and entertaining. I gave it a 4.5 out of 5 stars. The characters were a variety of interesting and I very quickly felt invested in Jubilee and what she was going through. I really liked the style of writing, it was smooth and gripped me from the very beginning. This is a cute and sweet short Christmas romance that takes you through a vast array of emotions ending of course with a satisfied laugh.

The second story didn’t start off so good. I gave it a 3.5 out of 5 stars. It took me three chapters to get the characters straight (who is who, who is a boy and who is a girl, etc.). But once I figured it all out, it was a kinda cute story, a bit cheesy but not too bad. However, I wasn’t all that impressed with the characters, or at least didn’t feel very invested in them. I think it just had a hard time living up to my enjoyment of the first one.

The last story was my least favorite. I gave it a 2.5 out of 5 stars. It was too much teen drama and angst.  The main character made some bad choices and then wanted a “Christmas miracle” to get her out of the consequences of them. And I must say the expected large shift in her by the end didn’t feel very realistic or substantial.

For the book as a whole, I really enjoyed how the stories were all interconnected. It was so fun to hear about previous characters, or to run into them, etc. I was sad to see how it started off so strong and just went down hill from there. As an overall book I give it 3.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...