Monday, December 17, 2018

When Christmas Comes Review


When Christmas Comes by Debbie Macomber (retitled Trading Christmas) is an adult holiday contemporary. Emily from Leavenworth, Washington switches houses with Charles from Boston for the holidays. She goes to be with her daughter for Christmas and he goes to escape Christmas altogether. When Charles’s brother shows up at his house and Emily’s friend Faith shows up at her house the fun (and romance?) ensues.


I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. It was a cute, funny, heartwarming story and I really enjoyed it. This book has everything you want from a lighthearted and sweet Christmas read, no surprise that it was made into a hallmark movie. The plot was predictable, but loveable too.  

The characters were funny, cute and interesting. They had hinted depth, but that was sort of glossed over to rush the romances and the expected changes. I would have preferred it be a bit slower and take the time for them to realistically work through their issues and be drawn together. Otherwise, they were pretty well done and I did enjoy seeing what they went through and the changes that did take place (the lessons learned and growth made).

The sexual content is okay for the majority of the book (sticking to kissing, holding hands, etc.). There was only one scene when things got a little steamier than I am really comfortable with, but thankfully it was interrupted.

For some reason I thought this was a Christian fiction going into the book and was kind of disappointed to discover that it isn’t. I know that the let down took away from my enjoyment of the book and I probably would have thought a bit more of it had I known going in that it wasn’t Christian fiction.

Overall, this was a very satisfying Christmas read and I look forward to trying out some other books by her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...