Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Cozy Winter Reads


This one was really hard for me. I’m not sure I really think of books as generally cozy reads or in a seasonal classification (unless you are going really specific like Christmastime or summertime). I only ended up with 9 recommendations instead of 10, but I did really enjoy the challenge. All books with a review up on my blog will have a *.




1.       A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens – How could I talk about favorite winter reads without including this one. It is a classic and for very good reason. This is one I think everybody should read at least once in their lifetime. 




2.       By Your Side by Kasie West – This young adult contemporary was a cozy read for me, sweet and emotional and a book I just wanted to curl up on the couch with and read all the way through. The plot also has the main character accidentally locked in the library over the weekend during a snow storm, and what says winter better than that. *




3.       Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marilier – This is one of my go to cozy day books. When it is bad weather out and you just want to cuddle up with some hot tea or hot chocolate and read a book that fits the general mood of the day, this is it. It is a fantastic retelling of the Dancing Princesses fairytale. 



4.       Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George – This is also a go to cozy read for darker days, and funny enough also a retelling of the Dancing Princesses fairytale. 




5.       Entwined by Heather Dixon Woodwall – This is another fantastic cozy winter day read that is also, have you guessed, a retelling of the Dancing Princesses fairytale.




6.       Beauty by Robin McKinley – For some reason when I think of Beauty and the Beast retellings (are you sensing a theme here?), I almost always think wintertime. I’m not really sure why that is, but this is one of my favorites. You could also check out McKinley’s other Beauty and the Beast retelling: Rose Daughter.




7.       Race Against Time by Gilbert Morris – This is a children time travel story. What makes this such a wintery read is that the main kids in the story travel back to the American Revolutionary War (specifically the winter season of the war). This is actually one of my favorite rereads, even as an adult. 




8.       The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by C S Lewis – The land cursed to always be in winter and the children who stubble into it. A classis Christian children story that I think everyone should read. 




9.       The Hawk and the Jewel by Lori Wick – This isn’t a specifically “winter” read, but it is one of those books that I think of during the winter season. It is one of my favorite Christian historical romances to curl up with and reread. It is a sweet and heartwarming story that gets me every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...