Sunday, December 23, 2018

Max Lucado Christmas Collection Review


The Max Lucado Christmas Collection is a set of three of Max Lucado’s Christmas themed Christian short stories. An Angel’s Story, The Christmas Candle, and The Christmas Child.


An Angel’s Story was a very interesting imagining of the birth of Christ from the angelic perspective pulling from scripture both in the Gospels and Revelation. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars. It was kind of nice, but I felt there were some historical inaccuracies that were distracting. Lucado also used some modern words and turns of phrase in the thoughts and/ or speech of some of the characters, which pulled me from the story too. However, this was a very clever piece and I really appreciated being made to think about Christ’s birth from the heavenly perspective.

The Christmas Candle was a wonderful and touching story about a small town in the English countryside and the glorious power of God revealed in our time of need. I gave this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. I really liked this one. It was beautiful and heartwarming and is just the kind of reminder of the hope and joy God brings this time of year that I love to read about. My only complaint is that the ending was very abrupt and I felt could have been fleshed out a bit more.

The Christmas Child was a sweet and heartbreaking story about a man, his carved nativity set, and the connection of two lost men. I gave this story 4 out of 5 stars. It was sad and lovely to read. My only complaint is that it was far too short. I would love to have had the chance to build more depth and to stay with them longer, especially as certain parts felt rushed (primarily the ending).


Overall, this was a nice little collection of stories and I had a wonderful time reading them. I give the collection as a whole 4 out of 5 stars. They were just right to read leading up to Christmas to get into the right spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...