Friday, December 28, 2018

The Heart of Christmas Review


The Heart of Christmas by Hank Hanegraaff is a Christian non-fiction devotional that goes from Decemeber 1 through December 25. 

I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars. This devotional was interesting, but not really what I was looking for as a seasonal devotion. I feel that this is half a devotional just about Christ himself and the other half has more of the seasonal focus. It was also heavy on theology, not necessarily a bad thing but unexpected and not really including much on the applicable side.

As for the “seasonal things” that he included in the first half, they often felt forced in or just felt out of place. I got the same confused feeling (of why is this in here or placed here specifically) with the carols at the end of each days devotional, they sometimes had nothing to do with what that days devotion was about and other times weren’t Christmas carols at all (just old hymns).

The second half that really did apply more connecting to the season was better, but still quite heavy in theology and lacking in the application.

I didn’t hate or even necessarily dislike this devotional, it just wasn’t what I was looking for in a devotional leading up to Christmas. I never remembered what I read by the end of the day, they just weren’t messages or thoughts that stuck with me or they were facts that I already knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart is the third book in his children’s adventure series. W...